Manuscript illuminators really knew how to pack action into a single letter. In the upper-case T on this page, a bishop accompanied by three tonsured monks sprinkles holy water on an altar, which is topped with a gold cross and housed within a tiny open chapel. A songbird looks on approvingly from the margin.
Initial T: The Dedication of a Church, about 1342/1348–1360, Pacino di Bonaguida. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. At the Getty Center in Florence at the Dawn of the Renaissance